Toronto Arrows Announce Lineup to Face League-Leading San Diego
4 May 2019
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
TORONTO, ON – Toronto Arrows Director of Rugby Chris Silverthorn has named his starting lineup for Sunday’s home match against the San Diego Legion.
Silverthorn has made three changes to his starting squad that featured in the club’s victory over the Seattle Seawolves last Sunday. Flanker John Moonlight returns to the starting lineup to bolster the forward pack, while scrum-half Jamie Mackenzie and fullback Theo Sauder have been tapped for the backs.
“Any time you have an opportunity to take on the top team in the league, you look forward to making the most of it,” said Silverthorn. “San Diego have put together a very impressive season and are in top form right now, but we’ve beaten them once so far this year, and we’ll look to do it again on Sunday.”
The Arrows (6-5-0) enter the match on a two-game winning streak, and are coming off a 29-7 bonus-point win over Seattle on April 28. Toronto sits sixth in the league standings with 34 points.
Twelve full internationals have been named to Toronto’s matchday squad, carrying a combined cap total of 212 matches.
San Diego (9-2-1) is on a six-game unbeaten streak heading into Sunday’s match, and occupy the top spot in the league table with 46 points. The Legion haven’t dropped a match since the two sides met on March 10, when Toronto picked up a 27-20 road win in California.
“It’s a logjam at the top of the standings, and the race for playoff positions is incredibly tight,” added Silverthorn. “Every single point is valuable, which means the margin for error is getting smaller and smaller. We’ll need a big performance on Sunday, but we’re looking forward to getting a boost from our fans at our first game at Lamport Stadium.”
- Malcolm is ranked fourth in the league in points scored (109) and fifth in goal kicking accuracy (81%)
- Moor and Oitomen are ranked fourth in the league in tries scored (6)
- Brouwer is ranked sixth in the league in dominant tackles (13)
- Mieres and Moor are ranked 10th in the league in linebreaks (7)
- Sheppard is ranked 12th in the league in made tackles (134)
- Moor is ranked 14th in the league in running metres (733)
- Milazzo leads the league in lineout takes (43) and is ranked second in lineout steals (5)
- Toronto is ranked third in the league in total tries scored (44) and fourth in total points scored (335)
- Eleven squad members are full Canadian internationals: Brouwer (9 caps), Ciulini (8 caps), du Toit (13 caps), Ferguson (10 caps), Keith (12 caps), Mackenzie (17 caps), Moonlight (23 caps), Moor (14 caps), Parfrey (27 caps), Sauder (8 caps), Sheppard (5 caps)
- One squad member is a full Uruguayan international: Mieres (66 caps)
- Twelve players selected to the starting 15 are Canadian; exceptions are Malcolm (New Zealand), Mieres (Uruguay), and Mitchell (New Zealand)
Sunday’s match kicks off at 2 p.m. EDT from Lamport Stadium in Toronto, marking the club’s first match at the downtown venue. Tickets are available for purchase online and at the gate.
The game can also be watched live on GameTV and streamed live through the Arrows’ Facebook page.
Toronto Arrows Lineup vs. San Diego Legion
1. Rob Brouwer // Lindsay
2. Andrew Quattrin // Aurora Barbarians
3. Morgan Mitchell // Southland Stags (New Zealand)
4. Mike Sheppard // Stoney Creek Camels
5. Paul Ciulini // Aurora Barbarians
6. John Moonlight // Ajax Wanderers
7. Peter Milazzo // Toronto Scottish
8. Marcello Wainwright // Toronto Scottish
9. Jamie Mackenzie // Balmy Beach
10. Sam Malcolm // Manawatu Turbos (New Zealand)
11. Dan Moor (C) // Balmy Beach
12. Guiseppe du Toit // UVic Vikes
13. Spencer Jones // Hamilton Old Boys (New Zealand)
14. Gaston Mieres // Lobos (Uruguay)
15. Theo Sauder // UBC Thunderbirds
16. Steven Ng // Barrhaven Scottish
17. Pat Lynott // Bytown Blues
18. Cole Keith // Belleisle Rovers
19. Tom Van Horne // Brantford Harlequins
20. Kolby Francis // Brantford Harlequins
21. Andrew Ferguson // Oakville Crusaders
22. Pat Parfrey // Swilers
23. Avery Oitomen // Oakville Crusaders
Vice President & General Manager: Mark Winokur
Director of Rugby: Chris Silverthorn
Coaches: Aaron Carpenter, Cory Hector, Peter Smith
Performance Analyst: Rodin Lozada
Team Physicians: Dr. Anthony Dixon, Dr. Chris Gallimore, Dr. John Gillis
Athletic Therapist: Perry Fan
About Toronto Arrows Rugby Club:
The Toronto Arrows Rugby Club is Canada’s first professional rugby union team.
Competing in Major League Rugby, the team is equipped to compete against top-tier North American club teams, providing emerging Canadian talent with enhanced and more frequent opportunities to hone their skills at an elite level.
For more information, visit https://torontoarrows.com/
For more information, please contact:
Want to receive further information regarding Toronto Arrows tickets, merchandise, and latest news? To subscribe to the Arrows club newsletter, sign up below.
Header Photo: José Romelo Lagman
We're welcoming back an old favourite as we introduce our latest Matchday
NEVER MISS A GAME BY SYNCING OUR LEAGUE FIXTURES TO YOUR DEVICE
As we wind down the year, there's nothing we'd love more than
For Immediate Release TORONTO, ON - The Toronto Arrows are pleased to