Toronto Arrows Announce Lineup for Seattle Clash
27 April 2019
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
TORONTO, ON – Toronto Arrows Director of Rugby Chris Silverthorn has named his starting lineup for Sunday’s home match against the Seattle Seawolves.
Silverthorn has made five changes to his starting squad that featured in the club’s victory over the Houston SaberCats last Sunday. Lock Paul Ciulini and prop Morgan Mitchell have been slotted into Toronto’s forward pack, while scrum-half Andrew Ferguson, outside centre Spencer Jones, and fullback Gaston Mieres have been drafted into the backs. Fly-half Pat Parfrey has been named to the Arrows’ bench and could make his Major League Rugby debut as a substitute.
“This match is crucial for us in our playoff push,” said Silverthorn. “The top half of the standings is incredibly competitive, and we’re not in a position where we can afford to drop points. Seattle is a top club, and we’re going to have to be at our best if we want to take maximum points on Sunday.”
The Arrows (5-5-0) enter the match coming off a 35-21 bonus-point win over Houston on April 21. Toronto sits sixth in the league standings with 29 points.
Thirteen full internationals have been named to Toronto’s matchday squad, carrying a combined cap total of 291 matches.
Seattle (8-3-0) is on a three-game winning streak heading into Sunday’s match, and occupy the third spot in the league table with 41 points.
The two clubs met earlier this season, with the reigning MLR champions narrowly topping the Arrows 35-30 in Seattle.
“We learned some good lessons from our first match against Seattle,” added Silverthorn. “We’re looking forward to getting another crack at the champions. The Seawolves have plenty of Canadians on their side as well, so the fans will be treated to a bit of a Canadian derby.”
- Malcolm is ranked fifth in the league in points scored (100) and fourth in the league in goal kicking accuracy (81.1%)
- Brouwer is ranked sixth in the league in dominant tackles (13)
- Milazzo leads the league in lineout takes (41) and is second in lineout steals (5)
- Mieres is ranked eighth in the league in linebreaks (7)
- Milazzo is ranked 13th in the league in made tackles (125)
- Toronto is ranked second in the league in total tries scored (40) and fourth in the league in total points scored (306)
- Eleven squad members are full Canadian internationals: Brouwer (9 caps), Ciulini (8 caps), du Toit (13 caps), Ferguson (10 caps), Keith (12 caps), Mackenzie (17 caps), Moor (14 caps), Parfrey (27 caps), Rumball (29 caps), Sauder (8 caps), Sheppard (5 caps)
- Two squad members are full Uruguayan international: Leivas (73 caps), Mieres (66 caps)
- Eleven players selected to the starting 15 are Canadian; exceptions are Leivas (Uruguay), Malcolm (New Zealand), Mieres (Uruguay), and Mitchell (New Zealand)
Sunday’s match kicks off at 1 p.m. EDT from York Alumni Stadium in Toronto. Tickets are available for purchase online and at the gate.
Prior to the kickoff, the Arrows will honour Ontario rugby stalwart Ray Barkwill; the Canadian international hooker will sign a one-day contract to retire with the club.
The game can also watched live on Game+, watched on the television rebroadcast at 4 p.m. on GameTV, and streamed live through the Arrows’ Facebook page.
Toronto Arrows Lineup vs. Seattle Seawolves
1. Rob Brouwer // Lindsay
2. Andrew Quattrin // Aurora Barbarians
3. Morgan Mitchell // Southland Stags (New Zealand)
4. Mike Sheppard // Stoney Creek Camels
5. Paul Ciulini // Aurora Barbarians
6. Lucas Rumball (VC) // Balmy Beach
7. Peter Milazzo // Toronto Scottish
8. Marcello Wainwright // Toronto Scottish
9. Andrew Ferguson // Oakville Crusaders
10. Sam Malcolm // Manawatu Turbos (New Zealand)
11. Dan Moor (C) // Balmy Beach
12. Guiseppe du Toit // UVic Vikes
13. Spencer Jones // Hamilton Old Boys (New Zealand)
14. Leandro Leivas // Old Christians (Uruguay)
15. Gaston Mieres // Lobos (Uruguay)
16. Steven Ng // Barrhaven Scottish
17. Pat Lynott // Bytown Blues
18. Cole Keith // Belleisle Rovers
19. Tom Van Horne // Brantford Harlequins
20. Kolby Francis // Brantford Harlequins
21. Jamie Mackenzie // Balmy Beach
22. Pat Parfrey // Swilers
23. Theo Sauder // UBC Thunderbirds
Vice President & General Manager: Mark Winokur
Director of Rugby: Chris Silverthorn
Coaches: Aaron Carpenter, Cory Hector, Peter Smith
Performance Analyst: Rodin Lozada
Team Physicians: Dr. Anthony Dixon, Dr. Chris Gallimore, Dr. John Gillis
Athletic Therapist: Perry Fan
About Toronto Arrows Rugby Club:
The Toronto Arrows Rugby Club is Canada’s first professional rugby union team.
Competing in Major League Rugby, the team is equipped to compete against top-tier North American club teams, providing emerging Canadian talent with enhanced and more frequent opportunities to hone their skills at an elite level.
For more information, visit https://torontoarrows.com/
For more information, please contact:
Want to receive further information regarding Toronto Arrows tickets, merchandise, and latest news? To subscribe to the Arrows club newsletter, sign up below.
Header Photo: Bob Rowland
For Immediate Release TORONTO, ON – Rugby Ontario and the Toronto Arrows
We're welcoming back an old favourite as we introduce our latest Matchday
NEVER MISS A GAME BY SYNCING OUR LEAGUE FIXTURES TO YOUR DEVICE
As we wind down the year, there's nothing we'd love more than