Toronto Arrows Announce Lineup for MLR Championship Series Semi-Final Clash with Seattle
7 June 2019
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
TORONTO, ON – Toronto Arrows Director of Rugby Chris Silverthorn has named his starting lineup for Sunday’s Major League Rugby Championship Series semi-final match against the Seattle Seawolves.
“All the work we’ve put in this season has got us to this point, but we know the post-season will up the ante in terms of what it takes to win,” said Silverthorn. “We’re proud to have earned a playoff spot in our first season in the league, but the hard work is far from over. We’ve set high expectations for what we want to accomplish this season, and we’ll continue pushing to give ourselves the best opportunity to advance.”
The Arrows (11-5-0) finished the season in third position in the MLR standings, and enter the playoffs on a seven-game winning streak following last Sunday’s thrilling 22-20 home win over Rugby United New York.
Toronto’s opponents ended the regular season one spot higher in the league table. The Seawolves (11-4-1) come into the post-season fresh off a 38-26 home victory over Austin Elite Rugby, securing the right to host the semi-final.
Toronto and Seattle split their regular season meetups in 2019, with the Seawolves taking the mid-February clash (35-30) in the Pacific Northwest, and the Arrows exacting revenge during the reverse fixture (29-7) in late April.
The winner of Sunday’s match will advance to the MLR Championship Final, which will be held the weekend of June 15-16.
Thirteen full internationals have been named to Toronto’s matchday squad, carrying a combined cap total of 273 matches.
“We’ve put in a lot of work in training to prepare for this test, and now it’s up to us to ensure that we execute on the field on Sunday,” added Silverthorn. “We know Seattle is a strong side, and as reigning champions, they’ll be doing everything in their power to keep the Championship Shield. That said, you have to beat the best to become the best, and with strong momentum behind us, we’ll be giving it our best shot.”
- Malcolm ranked second in the league in made goals (62), third in points scored (145), and fourth in goal kicking accuracy (82.7%)
- Milazzo ranked second the league in lineout takes (61), fourth in lineout steals (5), and 12th in made tackles (190)
- Campbell ranked fourth in the league in lineout steals (5)
- Sheppard ranked sixth in the league in carries (150) and seventh in made tackles (197)
- Mieres ranked seventh in the league in line breaks (12)
- Brouwer ranked seventh in the league in dominant tackles (18)
- Moor ranked ninth in the league in line breaks (11), ninth in the league in tries scored (7), and 12th in the league in running metres (1036)
- Toronto ranked second in the league in total tries scored (63) and in total points scored (472)
Sunday’s match kicks off at 9 p.m. EDT from Starfire Stadium in Seattle. It can be watched live on GameTV, streamed live through the Arrows’ Facebook page, and enjoyed amongst Arrows fans at the club’s official watch party held at Williams Landing.
Toronto Arrows Lineup vs. Seattle Seawolves
1. Rob Brouwer // Lindsay
2. Andrew Quattrin // Aurora Barbarians
3. Morgan Mitchell // Southland Stags (New Zealand)
4. Mike Sheppard // Stoney Creek Camels
5. Paul Ciulini // Aurora Barbarians
6. Marcello Wainwright // Toronto Scottish
7. Peter Milazzo // Toronto Scottish
8. Luke Campbell // James Bay
9. Andrew Ferguson // Oakville Crusaders
10. Sam Malcolm // Manawatu Turbos (New Zealand)
11. Leandro Leivas // Old Christians (Uruguay)
12. Guiseppe du Toit // UVic Vikes
13. Spencer Jones // Hamilton Old Boys (New Zealand)
14. Dan Moor (C) // Balmy Beach
15. Gaston Mieres // Lobos (Uruguay)
16. Steven Ng // Barrhaven Scottish
17. Pat Lynott // Bytown Blues
18. Cole Keith // Belleisle Rovers
19. Tom Van Horne // Brantford Harlequins
20. Kolby Francis // Brantford Harlequins
21. Jamie Mackenzie // Balmy Beach
22. Pat Parfrey // Swilers
23. Kainoa Lloyd // Mississauga Blues
Vice President & General Manager: Mark Winokur
Director of Rugby: Chris Silverthorn
Coaches: Aaron Carpenter, Cory Hector, Peter Smith
Performance Analyst: Rodin Lozada
Team Physicians: Dr. Anthony Dixon, Dr. Chris Gallimore, Dr. John Gillis
Athletic Therapists: Perry Fan, Scott Shannon
Physiotherapist: Rohit Rajput
About Toronto Arrows Rugby Football Club:
The Toronto Arrows Rugby Football Club is Canada’s first professional rugby union team.
Competing in Major League Rugby, the team is equipped to compete against top-tier North American club teams, providing emerging Canadian talent with enhanced and more frequent opportunities to hone their skills at an elite level.
For more information, visit https://torontoarrows.com/
For more information, please contact:
Want to receive further information regarding Toronto Arrows tickets, merchandise, and latest news? To subscribe to the Arrows club newsletter, sign up below.
Header Photo: Tek Ang
For Immediate Release TORONTO, ON – Rugby Ontario and the Toronto Arrows
We're welcoming back an old favourite as we introduce our latest Matchday
NEVER MISS A GAME BY SYNCING OUR LEAGUE FIXTURES TO YOUR DEVICE
As we wind down the year, there's nothing we'd love more than