Toronto Arrows Announce Lineup for 2020 Season Opener Against Austin
7 February 2020
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
TORONTO, ON – Toronto Arrows Director of Rugby Chris Silverthorn has named his starting lineup for Sunday’s Major League Rugby season opener against the Austin Gilgronis.
The Arrows will run out a heavily Canadian lineup for their league kickoff match at Austin’s Bold Stadium, with Silverthorn selecting 10 full Canadian internationals to his matchday squad.
“We’ve waited seven long months to get back to this point, and from up and down our entire organization, we’re champing at the bit to kick off our season,” said Silverthorn. “Our guys have put in the work this pre-season, and are raring to go. These last few training sessions have been especially fast-paced as players have put up their hands for spots in the lineup.”
Fourteen full internationals have been named to Toronto’s matchday squad, carrying a combined cap total of 333 matches.
“Our ability to be fully competitive, compared to this point in 2019, is night and day,” added Silverthorn. “Last year, we had lost more than a third of our squad to international duty at the Americas Rugby Championship, and we were stretched quite thin while going through the rigours of our inaugural season. This year, the international schedule is much kinder to Major League Rugby, and we have a full, excited squad at our disposal. It’s made for some fierce internal competition, and our guys have been pushing one another to bring out their best. We’re looking forward to going up against a fresh Austin side eager to make a big jump following last year’s campaign, and we’ll have to be sharp if we want to return home with full points in the bank.”
- Five new signings will make their MLR debuts: Adams, Asiata, Diana, de la Vega, LeSage
- One new signing stands to make his MLR debut off the bench: Rowland
- Ten squad members are full Canadian internationals: Ciulini (8 caps), du Toit (14 caps), Ferguson (10 caps), Keith (16 caps), LeSage (16 caps), Mackenzie (21 caps), Moor (14 caps), Quattrin (5 caps), Rumball (35 caps), Sheppard (11 caps)
- Three squad members are full Uruguayan internationals: Diana (25 caps), Leivas (76 caps), Mieres (70 caps)
- One squad member is a full Argentinian international: de la Vega (12 caps)
2019 Regular Season Notes:
- Malcolm ranked second in the league in made goals (62), third in points scored (145), and fourth in goal kicking accuracy (82.7%)
- Milazzo ranked second the league in lineout takes (61), fourth in lineout steals (5), and 12th in made tackles (190)
- Sheppard ranked sixth in the league in carries (150) and seventh in made tackles (197)
- Mieres ranked seventh in the league in line breaks (12)
- Moor ranked ninth in the league in line breaks (11), ninth in the league in tries scored (7), and 12th in the league in running metres (1036)
- Toronto ranked second in the league in total tries scored (63) and in total points scored (472)
Toronto defeated its Texas counterpart twice in 2019, claiming a 23-19 victory in Austin nearly one year ago to the day (Feb. 8, 2019) to mark the Canadian franchise’s first-ever league win, followed by a 24-13 triumph in Toronto later in the season. Austin ended its 2019 league season as MLR’s ninth-place finishers, finishing its campaign with an 0-16 record.
The Arrows enter the match having finished their pre-season with a 33-5 victory over the Utah Warriors.
Saturday’s match will kick off at 8 p.m. ET.
Television – TSN2
Streaming – TSN Direct
United States of America
Television – Fox Sports 2
Streaming – Toronto Arrows Facebook Page (https://www.facebook.com/TorontoArrows/)
The match can also be enjoyed amongst Arrows fans at the club’s Official Watch Party, held at Hemingway’s Restaurant and Bar – Toronto’s home of rugby.
Toronto Arrows Lineup vs. Austin Gilgronis
1. Richie Asiata
2. Andrew Quattrin
3. Cole Keith
4. Mike Sheppard
5. Paul Ciulini
6. Tomy de la Vega
7. Lucas Rumball
8. Manuel Diana
9. Jamie Mackenzie
10. Tayler Adams
11. Gastón Mieres
12. Guiseppe du Toit
13. Ben LeSage
14. Dan Moor (C)
15. Sam Malcolm
16. Steven Ng
17. Pat Lynott
18. Tyler Rowland
19. Kolby Francis
20. Peter Milazzo
21. Andrew Ferguson
22. Mitch Richardson
23. Leandro Leivas
Vice President & General Manager: Mark Winokur
Director of Rugby:Chris Silverthorn
Coaches: Aaron Carpenter, Cory Hector, Peter Smith
Performance Analyst: Rodin Lozada
Team Physicians: Dr. Anthony Dixon, Dr. Chris Gallimore, Dr. John Gillis
Athletic Therapist: Perry Fan
Physiotherapist: Rohit Rajput
About Toronto Arrows Rugby Football Club:
The Toronto Arrows Rugby Football Club is Canada’s first professional rugby union team.
Competing in Major League Rugby, the team is equipped to compete against top-tier North American club teams, providing emerging Canadian talent with enhanced and more frequent opportunities to hone their skills at an elite level.
For more information, visit https://torontoarrows.com/
For more information, please contact:
Want to receive further information regarding Toronto Arrows tickets, merchandise, and latest news? To subscribe to the Arrows club newsletter, sign up below.
For Immediate Release TORONTO, ON – Rugby Ontario and the Toronto Arrows
We're welcoming back an old favourite as we introduce our latest Matchday
NEVER MISS A GAME BY SYNCING OUR LEAGUE FIXTURES TO YOUR DEVICE
As we wind down the year, there's nothing we'd love more than